Friday, January 06, 2012

Sunil, The Travel Gnome?

Since May 1, 2010 I've been trying to figure out what I should do with my "boo-boo head squared butt nub." Yup, just one of his precious nicknames. He often called me his "brain." I would be in the other room and I would hear "Hey, Brain? Do you know where my warm socks are?" or "Brain boo boo head? What should I do for lunch tomorrow?" Ya know, your standard pet-names in a loving relationship, right? Anyway, I finally figured out what I would like to do with the remains of the love of my life. I want to turn him into the Travel Gnome/Flat Stanley!

If you are not familiar, let me sum it up for you. When Sonali, Sunil's Sis, and I went to the funeral home to pick Sunil's ashes up we got on the subject of what we should do with him. I know people that put their beloved Nana on a shelf for display, but I never felt truly comfortable with that. So we started joking that it would be awesome if we sent the urn to exotic destinations and took a picture of the urn in touristy situations, such as, wearing a beret in front of the Eifel Tower etc etc. Sonali and I laughed until we cried at the obsurdity of the concept. But then, as I stare at a very dusty urn on my shelf in Brooklyn I realized that that is EXACTLY what we should do!

Some of you may be familiar with "Flat Stanley" the children's book that had elementary kids all over the country sending a flat doll named Stanley to their remote friends and family to take a picture of Flat Stanley in the world their family and friends live in. (See pic below of Clint and Flat Stanley)

This is what I want to do with Sunil! He always said he traveled lots of places but saw nothing because he was always working. So my proposal is this. If you are a family member or friend that lives anywhere in the world and want to participate, I will send you a small urn with a portion of Sunil's ashes in it. Your job would be to take him to the tourist destination or landmark that shows off your neck of the woods and take a picture of the urn in front of it. You send me the photographs, remember to be as creative as you can! You keep the urn and do whatever you want with it, spread the ashes, display him prominently on your mantle, or send it to someone else that may live somewhere interesting to take more pictures. My goal is to send Sunil around the world!

I have set up a paypal link on my blog page (upper left corner), because I am way too broke to buy the urns required for this to happen. You can pay for the urn and shipping and I'll send it to you! I have found small urns for as low as $17.95 so if you send me $20-25 that should be enough, hopefully, to send you the full urn. It wont say Charlie. It won't say anything, so feel free to decorate it as you see fit!

I'm also saving some of the ashes to make a diamond out of him! Sunil and I never had enough money to by me an engagement or wedding diamond. He picked out a "no kill" diamond from Canada that he wanted to give me but we could never afford it. I think he would think it's super amazing that we could turn him into the diamond that I never got. Although, I'm still not in the position to be able to afford it. If you feel it in your heart to donate some money to making Sunil a .2 carot blue diamond that I can put into a Teno setting, I would be forever grateful :)

So there it is. It seems crazy and fun and extremely unorthodox, but that was Sunil! My "boo boo head squared butt nub"

Interestingly, Sunil's mom called me yesterday to wish me a Happy Anniversary. I forgot my anniversary! Sunil and I got married on Jan 3, 2004. I forgot our anniversary every year even when Sunil was alive. I can't believe it would be 8 years if the tumor hadn't of taken him too soon.

I hope we get enough people to do this. I really want to see Sunil go around the world! So spread the news to anyone you know that may have met him, or may just be cool enough to do this for a young widow in Brooklyn!

If you don't have nor want paypal but you want to participate, email me and I'll send you my address for you to send a check or money order for the urn. :)
Go Team "Send Sunil around the world!"

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Mandi




1 comment:

JoAnn Venhuizen said...

love you. love sunil. so i am all in. i am headed to florida in 5 days...can i get the urn by than? hahaha-

i forgot your anniversary too. i am a bad friend. i should have called you. sorry.

look for my pay-pal donation!

j