Thursday, February 18, 2010

New blogger!

Uh oh- Mandi has given me access to the blog! Everybody watch out.

This is Sonali, Sunil's sister who's staying to help out for a month (well...help is such a strong word). Mostly I take the dog for walks, refill Sunil's juice, and try my hand at culinary creativity with the fruits and veggies delivered every week in the Urban Organic box. For those who don't know me, I'm a medical student in Minnesota with 2 months of school left to go - and luckily enough scheduling flexibility that I could come out for a whole month. Right now I'm supposed to be picking where I want to go to residency. As you can see, I'm procrastinating - I already did everything I could think of around the apartment, including scraping frozen dog poo off the balcony, so this is SERIOUS procrastination. That said, you guys are all enablers.

In any case, this week is getting better and better! It started out a little scary - Sunil had a couple of mini-seizures while being transferred into his wheelchair. The first one we're attributing to a new pain medication which can lower seizure threshold - so that medication went down the toilet. The second one (Tuesday), we realize now was secondary to a reeeeally high fever. Sunil had been asleep (a little TOO asleep) for a few hours after the seizure, and when Mandi checked on him he was really warm. She took his temperature and it was 103.9! Given the accuracy of store-bought thermometers and oral temperatures, the fever was probably even higher than that. WOWZA. Luckily, the on-call nursing staff at Calvary were nice enough to put up with my "I'm-a-concerned-sister-and-almost-a-doctor-so-you'd-better-not-mess-with-me-and-get-Sunil-some-antibiotics-STAT" and actually did (whew). After 24 hours of Tylenol and antibiotics for a urinary tract infection, Sunil is back to his normal self. We officially declared him well when he started making fun of me this morning - cured!

Mandi's brother Matt is in town for the weekend and is providing some necessary comic relief. This is his first time in NYC, so Mandi just took him out to see some sights and buy the obligatory I 'HEART' NY shirts for souvenirs. She's going to post some pics of him that they just took. And they just got home with an authentic New York slice for me (mmmm...just can't get that in the Midwest), so I'm going to go chow (because that's what we do ALL DAY) and let her have her blog back!

Thanks for the lovely thoughts and prayers that I know are coming Sunil's way. Have a great evening, everyone!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Sonali, thank you for the update and your upbeat attitude. It sounds like you're all having some quality family time and I know what a blessing it must be for Sunil and Mandi. Know that many prayers are coming your way from MI!

Lauren said...

Hey guys,
This is Sonali's ooooold high school buddy Lauren. Just wanted to let you all know that I've been following the blog and keeping you all and Marlon in my prayers. Even though it's been a long time since I've hung out with the Rajans, I have mad love for you, Sonali, and for all your family. I hope you all are doing as well as possible and just want you to know that there are a lot of people who are wishing you the best from afar. The way that your family is sending so much positive energy and grace into the world at this time is really awesome -- and further proof (for me, at least) of God's light and love. Hugs to you all.